Keith started wrestling in the IKWF as a youth. I remember hanging out with Keith at tournaments because I too wrestled in the IKWF from about 1975-1980 but for the life of me I can’t remember any of Keith’s state accomplishments. It pains me to say this Keith, but records just don’t go back that far.
Keith wrestled for the Burbank Panthers and I wrestled for the Chicago Ridge Park District Wildcats. We were pretty strong rivals back then, mainly because that was the good old days of wrestling dual and triangular meets all the time. Like most of our cross town rivals, we wrestled many duals and only faced one another about every 4-5 weeks at tournaments. To this day I can feel the excitement of starting a dual between our two clubs. Everyone in the gymnasium were into these and had a vested interest in each and every match.
Keith went on to wrestle at St Laurence High School and recorded a record of 136-32-2. I believe I was one of those losses and it happened in the off season freestyle.Here are some of Keith’s high school wrestling accolades;
– 4 time Chicago Catholic League Conference champion.
– 2nd in state in 1981-82 at 119lb AA division
– 3rd in state in 1982-83 at 126lb AA division
Keith went on to wrestle at the University of Illinois (Illini) from 1984-88. While there Keith was a two time National qualifier and holds the record for the most single season pins. After graduating, Keith went on to Coach at Providence High School, a catholic school in New Lenox, IL. Keith has been coaching at Providence from 1992 to current and here are some of Coaches accomplishments;
– six Chicago Catholic League Conference Championships
– 476 team wins
– 3 times placed third in state as a team
– 3 times placed second in state as a team
– won six consecutive state championships from 1997-2002
– holds IHSA records for most team appearances (12), consecutive wins (21 state duals) and most titles won.
– Keith won Lawless Coach of the year 7 times, IWCOA Coach of the year two times and NHSCA once.
– coach Healy has also had 65 state placers with 29 reaching the Grand March and 19 winning State Titles.
This is a much deserved award for a man that has clearly dedicated much of his life to the great sport of wrestling and creating champions on and off the mat. If you happen to be friends with Keith on Facebook you also know that he is a HUGE BLACKHAWKS fan.
From all of us at True Wrestling Insider, congratulations on this induction into the Chicago Catholic League Conference Hall of Fame and we wish you continued success on and off the mat.
Coach Keith Healy interview -MrNiterider1